Friday, September 17, 2010

Faux Wall Treatment

I've been doing some Faux-Painting in the new house, trying to bring a more personal, homey touch. I was going for a antique, faded French wallpaper look.
This is a view of the entrance foyer to the Master Bedroom & Bath. I used an all-over Damask pattern, with sponged layers of metallic pearl glaze. For all my wall sponging techniques I use the natural sea sponges that our family collected while on vacation in the Keys. We love to go sponge diving, it takes about a week of soaking and beating the sponges to process them so they are soft & usable, but it's worth it, they make great paint applicators!!
In the niche area we added a diamond mosaic pattern with real 4 x 4" tumbled marble tiles.
                                             Close-up of Faux-Finish Damask Pattern
                                               

The next project was the dining room, which presented a problem with the huge open 7 x 9 ft niche area.  I didn't want a traditional china cabinet, so my husband devised these thick plate-glass shelves, with molding across the front, for all my glass-ware. I used a metallic finish by Ralph Lauren for the back wall of the cabinet.
I found the glass top dining set on Craig's List, it reminds me of something from Alice in Wonderland, with the huge, whimsical looking claw-footed chairs & carved base.
                                                                                   The living room also has niches with plate-glass shelves. They give me lots of room to display my favorite antique pieces that my Mom left to me:)

3 comments:

  1. I love it. It's very old world Parisian!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful home. You give TV decorators a run for their money. Donna Ingram

    ReplyDelete